Saturday, November 14, 2009

Tell one thing about your brothers and sisters.

I don't know how old I was.  Carolyn may have been the baby.  We were at the restaurant that Moner worked at.  Moner, John, and I don't remember anyone else.  A cousin of Moner's came in and he knew John had a temper, and liked to get him mad.  John picked up a butcher knife and threw it at him.  His name was Arthur Cowart.  Well it hit me on the leg and I still carry the scar.

Carolyn was always so small, and delicate.  We were very careful of her.  When I had to take care of her I would carry her on my hip.  I've always said that is why my right hip is higher than my left.

Barbara was small, walking.  It was a very windy day, the adult kept a can of lye on a shelf of sorts outside.  The wind blowed it off.  Barbara got to it before Moner could.  She put some in her mouth (it is very poisonous, I don't think they sell it anymore).  Her mouth swelled really bad, she must not have swallowed any, because she is still here.  They kept it for making soap.  Kids weren't suppose to be able to reach it.  They probably didn't think about the wind blowing hard enough to blow it off.

As you know by now, by things I've said before.  These were really tough times.  When Edward was born Aunt Hilma wanted to adopt him to make it easier on Moner.  She said she didn't have one to give up.

Earnest and Phil was born after I married.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't visited this blog of yours. I like this idea. My Dad is always telling me "he could write a book" but never puts things down on paper. It would be awesome to have things like this on paper to pass on to the kids and grandkids. I think I would like to do this for myself. Send me the information.
    dpucci9972@gmail.com I have to make a note and come back to read this from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what Moner said to her Aunt that wanted to adopt Edward. She, "didn't have one to give up." It reminds me of my Grandma- when her first husband walked out her mother-in-law said she needed to put the children in foster care b/c she would never be able to care for 4 on her own- my grandma said, "Not over my dead body."
    ~Donna Deese

    ReplyDelete