Sunday, December 20, 2009

Tell about each of your children: birth, characteristics, problems, joys, sorrows, and accomplishments.

Ronnie was born in Panhandle Texas.  We were visiting his Aunt.  I went into labor and the Doctor said if we went back to the city where we lived  to my Doctor it would have to be by ambulance.  It was about 28 miles away so I stayed there.  He delivered him there at her house.  He was born November 19, 1950.  Back then it was required that you stayed in the bed for nine days after giving birth.  She made me stay and do that.  In the meantime our apartment in Amarello where we lived burned.   Ronnie was a cute child, blonde curly hair.  I didn't want to have it cut.  He was probably three when it was cut.
Sylvia was also born in Panhandle, Texas.  We lived in the same house that Ronnie was born in.  His Aunt had moved away.  Sylvia was born in a clinic, the only thinkg there.  There wasn't a hospital.  She and I both were anemicand had to take B-12 shots.  She had dark brown hair and was born on May 1, 1952.  Sylvia was probably nine months old when they wrote me that Moner had been badly burned and may not live.  Louis made arrangements for Ronnie, Sylvia, and I to come back to Georgia.  Not long after he said he wanted a divorce.  That was the last we heard directly from him, several years later we got word he was dead.  He was overseas at the time.
Ronnie and Sylvia were good children.  As we all know Moner lived and we all moved back to Collins.  Ronnie and Sylvia called me Dean and your Grandmother "Moner".  That stayed with her and even now when my children, and grandchildren refer to her it's still Moner.
I remarried had Paul October 16, 1954.  He was PeeWee long before he was born up until he started school.  He was shy and stayed close to me.  He was hard to potty train, took longer than the others.  We lived at Deptford Homes when he started school.  Cried every morning the first week,  until he got use to being away from me for a few hours.  We moved about month after school started had to go to a different school -Port Wentworth.  Cried again for the first week.  After that he was fine, learned and made good grades.  He's a lot like your Dad was serious, but quite.  As far as I know doesn't have any bad habits, unless he bites his nails.  haha  The older he gets the more he looks like your Dad.  Paul was born in Reidsville.
Alan was born June 20, 1956 at Telfair Hospital in Savannah.  We lived at Frances Bartow homes at that time.  The Dad's were only permitted in the patient's rooms during visiting hours.  The way I remember that was a few hours in the morning and a few at night maybe 2-3 hours each time.  There were semi-private rooms then, although it was a womans hospital, not only babies and mothers were there.  But women who had surgery also.  You really had nothing in common with the woman who shared your room or I didn't.  She was older and wan't having a baby.  I just remember she wasn't that friendly.  I was very glad to get home.  Paul was quiet and shy and Alan outgoing and didn't find strangers.  Although Paul is 20 months older than Alan, Alan caught up with him in size.  When they were young I dressed them alike.  People thought they were twins.  Both of them had motorcycles as teenagers until Paul was hurt in an accident with his.  He soon lost interest and got a volkswagon.  Alan had had accidents on his but still ride them.  I waited five years before having another child.  You (Thena) were born on November 19, 1961 on Ronnie's 11th birthday.  You weighed more than any of the others at birth and had no hair.  You wore caps so you look like a girl.  I wouldn't let you get dirty.  Moner and others told me it wasn't healthy to keep you so clean.  I didn't bathe you in water, I used baby oil.  People commented on how soft your skin was.  I don't know if I've ever told you this.  Once when we were at your Daddy's brothers house (Uncle Frank) there were cataba worm trees around their house.  You were crawling or may have been walking.  This worm was crawling on the floor, you put it in your mouth before we could get to you.  I don't remember but it must have not made you sick.  Almost did me though.  You are alot like your Daddy's sisters, your coloring light and blonde hair.  You cried at nights the first week after coming home form the hospital.
Billy was born July 17, 1963.  He was active, and didn't meet strangers.  Thinking back he and Alan was more alike in some ways and you and Paul in some ways.  You and Billy were close as children especially before you started school.  The two of you had an imaginary friend her name was Mitzi.  I would get tickled listening to you two talking to her.  I believe you were the baby when Alan broke his arm.  Ronnie was pulling him on a wooden drink crateand he fell off.  He wasn't one to cry much when he got hurt.  This time he really cried and I knew it must be serious.  We took him to the emergency room and sure enough.  His arm was broken above the elbow.  When he was a few months old he had pneumonia, stayed in the hospital several days.  As far as problems, we had them, but they were nothing compared to families now.  I'm very proud of my children and your families.  My prayer for each of you is to love and live for the Lord.  He gave his all for us and He wants us to give ourselves to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment